Thursday, March 17, 2011

Using a wiki in school

My wiki has finally been allowed access by my students in Stage 3. They are using it to record information about Nationally Remembered Days. It has been interesting because some children have replaced what others have written because it was the same as what they wrote. This was my fault because I did not explain to them that I wanted them to demonstrate deeper thinking by adding to what is already there. Anyway, it has been a learning curve for all of us and now they are not doing  this anymore.


Now it is no longer a blocked site but a private site for my students I will use it to do all of our work over the year. It should be interesting to see how it pans out. At the moment they are involved in collaborative note taking. I suppose I want them to see that note taking is more important than the writing itself as it provides the backbone and framework of any academic writing.

I will put onto it the better reports so that they can all see what a well written report looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking more about my wiki and reading about information skills makes me think about teaching children to:
    - plan their work
    - teaching children skimming and scanning to browse resources for information
    - teaching these skills using the wiki

    ReplyDelete